Thursday, June 25, 2009

Father's Day Suprise!

This year for Father's Day, I decided to do something very special for Zach. I decided to take him camping! The last time that he had been was about 10 years ago with the scouts, and he hated and dreaded camping. So what on earth possessed me to take him camping? I love camping and I wanted to share something that I love with him. I haven't been camping in about 15 years, and I thought it would be so nice for our family to be a camping family. I got everything ready, without Zach knowing. Lacey lent us a lot of camping necessities, including a humungolungo tent, it was so nice of them. My amazing friend, Chaparito (Chris Radigan) helped us take everything down with his truck. Zach was blinded the whole time! I told him that we were going somewhere about an hour away, when in reality we were going to Jolly's Ranch in Springville, oops! We stopped by Tommy's on our way down and ate. Once we got to the campground, I realized that I had forgotten a great many things. So I called my dad to bring them. He came later with Noemi, my niece who is staying with us for a week and a half. Chaparito and Aubrie, his fiance, staying for the evening. We had chicken tinfoil dinners with veggies, s'mores, and hot chocolate.
We were having such a great time... then the next morning came, bringing lots and lots of rain! The wind was so strong, and the rain was pouring so heavy that after 14 hours of downpour, our tent started to leak and Noemi was getting scared. We were sure that the baby would get upset, but instead, she fell asleep to the sound of the rain and the roaring wind. Nevertheless, we decided to come home early. Boo hoo! That whole day we spend inside the tent playing games. Amazingly enough we had a really good time. The miraculous part was that in the morning it let up for about an hour. Just enough time to cook breakfast, pancakes, eggs, and bacon. Then for lunch the rain also let up for about an hour, also just enough time to cook lunch, grilled hot dogs, chips, and hot chocolate.
Oh yeah, we left on Friday afternoon and weren't planning on coming back until Sunday around noon. Instead we came back Saturday evening.
Although I thought that it wasn't the best surprise, Zach loved it. We want to go camping more often. We had a lot of fun doing nothing. Our phones were turned off and we were able to be a family and spend quality time together with no interruptions. It was a great experience!
Sorry I don't have any pictures of Zach at the camp, he was the one taking the pictures.

1 comment:

  1. You haven't been camping since you were ten!? What about girls camp? I would totally count that. We slept in tents and couldn't take showers , after all :)

    ReplyDelete