Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Wonderful and Amazing Husband... I LOVE YOU!


I love my husband so much! In fact "love" seems like such a small word compared to the feelings that I have for him. He is the love of my life, my best friend, my confidant, my comforter, my provider, the father of my children. I had a hard time finding a "good" man. I dated several men, but always with the mentality of, "oh poor guy, I can help him. If I don't date him, nobody will." Yeah, for good reasons too! Oh well, live and learn.

Then I met this amazing Elder on the mission! Elder Roberts was spiritual, mature, compassionate, funny, and caring. I relied on him so much during the beginning of the mission because I was having companionship problems. Luckily he was my Zone Leader. There in Naperville, started our friendship. Then, after 3 months, we were transfered to Berwyn. Our friendship grew stronger. I admired him so much for being such an amazing man. He reminded me so much of my dad, his sense of humor, his gentleness, his good manners. I thought, "Hum, we'll have to hang out after the mission. He is the kind of friend I need." Then, one night Elder Gomez called. We talked and he told me that he knew that Elder Roberts and I were going to get married. I was in shock! I didn't think of him like that. He was my friend, and we were MISSIONARIES! He said that he looked at me with love in his eyes. I just chuckled, and said that I had to go. I then proceded to call Elder Roberts and tell him that Elder Gomez said. I laughed and laughed, when suddenly I realized that I was the only one laughing.
I said, "Isn't that funny!?!"
He said, "Why is that funny?"
"Uh, no offense Elder, but you just aren't my type. You're tall, white, can't dance, and don't speak spanish." (You see, I had my heart broken by a tall, white guy that couldn't dance, and I promised myself never again.)
He proceded to ask, "What is wrong with tall guys?"
LOL! Out of anything that he could have picked a fight with, TALL guys?!?! "Well, you see, the thing is, I can't steal kisses. I would have to say, um, excuse me, could you come down here a minute, I want to steal a kisses. Uh, no thanks."
"That is what stairs are for. We'll have lots of stairs at our house. You know, I can reach the tall cupboards without standing on the counter or getting a chair."
"Okay, well, I have to go now."
The very next morning, I called President Haines, and told him that I needed to repent. I told him of our conversation, and that I just might be getting feelings for Elder Roberts. He told me that it was okay, but to not break any rules. Okay, what did he mean "it was okay?" It wasn't okay! I was lost and confused. A few weeks later I had interviews with President. He asked me how my "feelings" were going. I told him that I needed help because my feeling were getting stronger. He told me that I was going to marry him, that that I needed to obey mission rules and that when I got home, to pursue a relationship with him. I was awestruck! Marry him?? Elder Roberts?? Could it be?? Well, three months later, he honorably finished his mission and went home. We were in love, but NOT acting on our feelings for each other. We started writing back and forth, but I was starting to have a difficult time focusing on the Lord's work. I talked to President again, and he told me that if I wanted we could talk about me going home early to marry him. I was suprised, and hurt. I didn't want to go home, I wanted to serve the Lord. I realized that I couldn't keep writing to him. I needed to refocus. I told President that I was going to write to him and ask him to stop writing me. That night I wrote the letter, I called President and read it to him. He told me that it said what needed to be said. So off it went the next day.
About 3 weeks later I recieved a response. Zach stated that he knew that eventually we would have to stop writing and that he wanted me to remember that the Lord was always there for me, and that when I had hard days to remember all of the people that I had helped. Then signed it "Brother Roberts." That was it.

Seven months later, on a beautiful, yet painfully sad Saturday, it was time for me to come home. I was with President Haines once again, for my final interview. He asked me about Elder Roberts. I responded that I didn't know if he still had feelings for me. He simply stated, "Sister Barrientos, just promise me that you will send me a wedding announcement." Once again, shock. Then, the long plane ride home.

Next, I was in the car with Candida Torralvo, my trainer on the mission, when her cellphone rang. She answered and said, "Hi Zach." It was him, Elder Roberts. I was so nervous! She handed me the phone, and we chated for a while. It wasn't awkward at all, amazingly enough. Then came the good-bye. "Bye Elder Roberts"
"Bye. (pause) I love you."
"Uhhhh. I'm confused. I just got home from the mission, TODAY."
"That's okay, I'm patient."

The next Sunday he asked my dad for permission to be my boyfriend, three weeks later we were engaged, and three months later we were married. I always tell him that he wasn't very patient. His reply is always, "I was as patient as I needed to be."
Now here we are, three and a half years after we met, married for time and all eternity (thankfully), with our beautiful daughter, Carlita, and at least one baby waiting for us in heaven. I never knew I could love someone as much as I have grown to love him. He makes me want to be better, to try harder to reach my full potential. I love everything about him. Well, maybe not the fact that he chews his nails until his fingers bleed when he is stressed.


I love how he will do anything to make me laugh when I'm feeling down.







I love how wonderful of a father he is to Carla. How he loves and adores her.





The fact that he is a worthy Priesthood holder, and honors his Priesthood to the best of his ability. I love how faithful and how the Gospel means the world to him.
I love how he spoils me like crazy, and will bring me flowers, just because.






I love him because he is mine. For time and all eternity he is mine.

How grateful I am to Elder Gomez who started it all and for a mission president who knew how to help us be obedient, yet still let me in on Father's plan for me.



I LOVE YOU BABY. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. SO MUCH SO MUCH! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH THAT IT YOU TRAVELED TO THE END OF THE UNIVERSE AND BACK INFINITY PLUS 1, IT WOULD ONLY BE A SMIGE OF HOW MUCH LOVE I HAVE IN MY HEART FOR YOU.

4 comments:

  1. Wow!! your story brings tears to my eyes, because I'm honored to know you both, and reading your story, I know that you are meant to be together. I know too that the Lord has plans for each and everyone of us. I am very impressed on how others plans are different than mine, but more impressed that it leads to the same place. WE LOVE YOU GUYS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing this story! I remember how it took you like the whole time we were companions to tell me about all your relationships :) I'm so glad you got Zach! And I'm so glad he waited for you because if you would have gone home early, I never would have known you. You guys are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so blessed to have you as my wife. You make life worth living. I love you baby and am glad that you told the real story and not the version that you tell sometimes to get some good reactions. You left out the part that you were instantly head over heals when you met me. Tee hee hee. Te amo mi amor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! I never knew how you two met, how stinkin' sweet!!

    ReplyDelete