Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fast Sunday

Today was Fast Sunday. It was such a spiritually uplifting Sabbath. The testimonies that were borne were amazing. I learned so much from listening to them. In Sunday School, I was reminded of the amazing Plan of Happiness, and how God always has a purpose in His creations. Relief Society was the cherry on top today. Beth's lesson was about finding God's tender mercies amist our trials. We talked about trying to have a, "what am I supposed to learn from this experience" attitude and not a, "why me" attitude. Zach and I are heading into some stormy seas and we have been praying for a new job, and for the Lord to make our situation easier. Last week Zach gave the FHE lesson on how we need to pray for guidance, patience, and to learn the lesson Father wants us to learn from our experience. I realized that many times in my life I ask Father to take away my trials or to make me strong so that I can endure them, but almost never to help me be a better person because of them, or to be able to learn from my trials. As I contemplated Father's love for me, I realized that He never allows trials to happen to us because He wants us to be miserable and grumpy, but because He wants us to find JOY in our lives. He wants us to learn how to depend on Him, and to be happy despite what we may be going through. Recently I have been pondering on a saying which states, "God sometimes calms the seas, and sometimes He lets the seas rage and calms His child." I love that saying because it is so true. I feel like I have to go through the same trial multiple times until I finally say, "Okay, what am I suppose to learn. Please Father, help me." I find peace in my trials when I finally ask for His help. We cannot find true JOY unless we are willing to forget ourselves and focus on Him. I learned something from Beth's sister in law, she said that for her JOY stands for Jesus, Others, You. It made so much sence, it finally clicked. You cannot find true JOY unless you give yourself to HIM, our Maker, our Redeemer. I love learning from my sisters. I felt the Spirit so strongly during the lesson, and the testimonies that were shared at the end of the lesson added so much more to that feeling. I know that Christ was in our midst. I know that Father is so proud of each one of us as we learn of Him, and from Him. I love the Holy Sabbath and the perspective that it gives to my life. Thank you Father for the gift of the Gospel in my life.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post, and for the sweet visit today. I am so grateful for such a dear frined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hermana, I miss being your companion because you always taught me stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for an uplifting blog! Thank you for helping me remember my blessings

    ReplyDelete